Are you looking for a product to boost your immune, digestive, mental, and overall health? If you said yes, we’re guessing you’ve heard all the benefits of probiotics by now. It’s hard to know if all the claims are true when it comes to the world of advertising, so we’ve gotten up close and personal with Synbiotic 365 – a probiotic and prebiotic supplement that also contains essential B vitamins.
IN THIS ARTICLE: We’re going to take an objective look at the science behind the ingredients so you can decide if this is the right product for your health journey.
Meet the doctor behind Synbiotic 365
Dr. Vincent Pedre, M.D. teamed up with United Naturals, the manufacturer of this product, in the hopes of finding a cure for extensive digestive health issues. He graduated from Cornell University with honours and then went on to the University of Miami School of Medicine where he achieved his medical
Dr. Vincent Pedre’s philosophy and practices combine both Western and Eastern medical traditions. He takes a holistic, functional approach towards healing his patients’ gut health through food, lifestyle and medication via his company, Pedre Integrative Health. With his extensive experience, he has poured his medical knowledge into creating Synbiotic 365, but does it really work? Let’s take a further look below.
What is a synbiotic?
Probiotics are beneficial bacteria that are essential for a healthy, balanced gut microflora and have a wide range of benefits throughout the body.
Basically, a synbiotic is the optimal combination of species of probiotic and prebiotic fibres to help maximise health benefits. It’s an excellent way to make sure you’re getting the most out of your probiotic supplement.
Prebiotic fibres feed the probiotic and encourage them to thrive and grow, they also improve their survival rate so they can get where they need to be and live longer in the body’s harsh conditions to provide as many health benefits as possible.
Now that we understand what the term “synbiotic” means, here’s a few of the benefits of probiotics:
- Stimulates the production of vitamins
- Improves digestion and absorption of nutrients from food
- Reduces digestive discomfort like bloating, cramping, and gas
- Reduces symptoms of conditions such as Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), diarrhea, ulcerative colitis, and liver disease
- Boosts immune function and is responsible for around 70% of your immune response
- Reduces inflammation throughout the body
- Creates an acidic environment in the gut so harmful bacteria can’t survive
Probiotic strains in Synbiotic 365
There are 20 billion colony forming units (CFU) in 1 capsule/serving of Synbiotic 365 – these are the viable bacteria in each dose. 20 billion CFU is a great starting point for anyone new to probiotics or looking to maintain healthy gut flora long-term.
There’s also 14 different strains of probiotic in this supplement which means you’ll get a wide range of benefits, we’ve listed some awesome benefits of each strain below:
- Lactobacillus gasseri BNR-17® – This strain has been isolated from human breast milk and helps to control weight gain.
- OPTI-BIOME Bacillus subtilis MB-40 – This strain is more resistant to the acidic environments in the body and assists with breaking down your food and energy production.
- Bifidobacterium lactis BIO-4™ – Helps to reinforce the gut barrier to combat leaky gut. Also assists with your immune health, fighting allergies, inflammation, cholesterol and managing diabetes.
- Lactobacillus paracasei Lpc-37™ – Supports a healthy immune system and your inflammatory response, inhibits harmful bacteria and assists with combating yeast infections in particular. Specifically helps to maintain dental health by fighting bacteria that causes periodontal disease.
- Lactobacillus plantarum Lp-115™ – Boosts iron absorption, improves heart health by reducing blood pressure and assists with digestion by speeding up the time it takes for your food to be processed through your colon.
- Streptococcus thermophilus St-21™ – Able to survive and thrive in higher temperatures than other strains. Ferments in the small intestine and produces lactic acid to help break down dairy products effectively, assisting with lactose intolerance symptoms.
- Lactobacillus casei Lc-11™ – Helps to improve symptoms of constipation, lactose intolerance, colic, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) and Crohn’s disease.
- Lactobacillus reuteri – Inhibits the colonisation of pathogenic microbes in the gut whilst also reducing inflammation throughout the body and strengthening the intestinal barrier.
- Lactobacillus salivarius Ls-33™- A fast-growing strain that helps to prevent gingivitis, cavities and strep throat. Populates the gut in a way that gives bad bacteria less room to grow and, in doing so, combats symptoms of IBS, ulcerative colitis and yeast infections.
- Lactobacillus rhamnosus Lr-32™ – Attaches itself to and colonises intestinal walls, giving itself a better chance at survival. Helps with diarrhea, IBS and urinary tract infections (UTIs).
- Lactobacillus fermentum – Has antioxidant properties that boosts the immune system, lowers cholesterol, and improves liver, mood and brain function. Can also increase your body’s ability to absorb and utilise calcium, phosphorus and zinc.
- Bifidobacterium bifidum Bb-06™ – Combats symptoms of lung infections, diarrhea, constipation, IBS, ulcerative colitis and pouchitis. Can also help to restore your gut wall after it has been damaged by illness.
- Bifidobacterium longum Bl-05™ – Stabilises the gut microbiome and alleviates gastrointestinal, immunological and infectious diseases.
- Saccharomyces boulardii – Most commonly used for treating diarrhea.
The prebiotic that United Naturals have decided to include in Synbiotic 365 is chicory root inulin, a soluble fibre that comes from the roots of the chicory plant which is native to northwestern Europe. Inulin is sweet in taste and is often used to replace sugars in some foods as it’s able to bulk their fibre content up without adding too many extra calories.
Functioning as a prebiotic, inulin’s molecules link together in a way that prevents the small intestine breaking it down so that it can travel to your lower gut and feed the probiotic living there. Inulin-type prebiotic are most effective at stimulating the growth of Bifidobacteria species of probiotic in particular, but positively affect other strains as well. This research study suggests, however, that prebiotic derived from fructo-oligosaccharides may be more effective on a greater number of probiotic strains than inulin is.
B vitamins in Synbiotic 365
This product also contains the 8 essential B vitamins your body needs to function correctly, here are the benefits of each in detail:
- Thiamine (Vitamin B1) – Enables the body to convert carbs into energy which is essential for glucose metabolism that produces energy. Due to this, B1 is critical for the growth, development and healthy function of your cells. Thiamine deficiency is closely related to neurological issues as the brain relies on around 20% of the body’s glucose for normal healthy function. Without thiamine, glucose would not be broken down properly for the brain to utilise.
- Riboflavin (Vitamin B2) – Breaks down proteins, fats and carbs from your diet for energy. Assists with hormone production, fetal development, maintaining the important mucous membranes in your digestive system and maintaining healthy function of the liver, eyes, nerves, muscles, and skin.
- Niacin (Vitamin B3) – Breaks down proteins, fats and carbs from your diet for energy. Helps with the production of certain hormones that remove harmful chemicals from the liver. Assists with managing cholesterol and has anti-oxidative and anti-inflammatory properties that lower the risk of heart disease. Synbiotic 365 contains 32 milligrams of B3 and the recommended daily intake for adults is only 16 milligrams daily so this product may not be the right product for you if you’re already consuming a healthy diet of greens, meat, poultry, fish, and eggs daily.
- Vitamin B6 – Metabolises sugars, fats, carbs and proteins from your diet. Is essential for the growth and development of your brain, nerves, skin, eyes, and more. Helps to regulate moods, prevent anaemia and seizures, and reduces premenstrual syndrome (PMS), nausea during pregnancy, arthritis and heart disease.
- Folate (Vitamin B9) – Folate is extremely important for pregnant mothers to consume to ensure the correct formation of their baby’s neural tube, possibly lower chances of preterm birth and protect pregnant mothers from anaemia. For everyone else, folate also helps metabolise proteins and produce red blood cells. Basically it’s essential for healthy growth and development at all stages of life.
- Vitamin B12 – Another vitamin that helps with making red blood cells but also nerves and DNA. Helps break down fatty and amino acids to produce energy. Symptoms of B12 deficiency (quite common) can include heart palpitations, digestive issues, bruising easily, tiredness and anaemia. Those who consume a vegan or vegetarian diet may be at higher risk of a deficiency as plants do not contain B12.
- Biotin (Vitamin B7) – Helps to metabolise glucose, proteins, fats and carbs. Important for healthy and strong hair, nails and skin, but also for psychological and nervous system function. Will also help to reduce bad cholesterol levels.
- Pantothenic acid (Vitamin B5) – Breaks down fats and carbs from your food for energy. Promotes healthy skin, eyes, hair and liver function. Helps to create red blood cells and sex hormones. Lowers cholesterol, maintains digestive and immune health, and processes other vitamins.
Generally speaking, if you’re consuming a healthy diet then you should be getting enough B vitamins already without having to supplement to avoid deficiency. Symptoms of a deficiency are wide and varied because there are so many different kinds of B vitamins. To check if you should be consuming extra or not you should always consult your doctor first.
Other ingredients and allergen info
Besides the main ingredients, there’s only a few others that have been added to this supplement:
- Hypromellose – A plant-derived alternative to regular gelatin capsules that provides extra protection for the probiotic, allowing them to travel further through the body unharmed and get to where they can be most beneficial.
- Gellan gum – This is a viscous soluble fiber that’s produced from lactose or glucose. It’s usually used to bind, stabilise and thicken processed foods.
- Rice hull concentrate – An organic ingredient made from rice hulls that helps ingredients flow evenly and prevent them sticking to each other.
Synbiotic 365 is soy, nut, egg, gluten, dairy and GMO-free so it’s suitable for vegans and vegetarians plus anyone with common allergies/intolerances.
Pricing and returns
Unfortunately, you can only purchase this product directly from the United Naturals website, but they do offer a 60 day money-back guarantee if you’re not happy with the product. They don’t have a lot of information about their money-back guarantee on their website so we weren’t able to scrutinise any possible hidden terms and conditions attached to it.
As for pricing, 1 box of this supplement has 30 capsules and so will last you around a month if you’re taking 1 capsule daily as recommended. You can get a discount if you buy more than one box, here’s the breakdown:
|Quantity||Price||Price per serving|
|1 box||$45||($1.50 per capsule)|
|3 boxes||$119||($1.32 per capsule)|
|6 boxes||$229||($1.27 per capsule)|
Generally speaking, the probiotic market is quite saturated with products ranging across all different qualities and budgets. This supplement places closer to the more expensive end of the spectrum but does contain a lot of great ingredients for the price.
Synbiotic 365 from United Naturals seems to be a well-thought out product on all accounts; essential B vitamins, a good amount of CFU and varied strains of beneficial probiotic species, prebiotic to enhance their benefits, and minimal fillers. If you’re suffering from poor digestive health, this may be a great product for you to try.
Despite the product only being available through United Naturals website and on the more expensive side of the market, you will be able to take advantage of their money back guarantee which means if you don’t love it, you get your money back. It’s also supported by Dr. Vincent Pedre, M.D, who has extensive experience in the gut-healing realm.
The need for supplementation with probiotics and B vitamins is generally only necessary if you’re not consuming a healthy and varied diet, so always consult with your doctor before starting a new supplement.